Horton Row Spinning & Walking Wheels, Dandelion Festival, May 2013
|north grenville historical society|
Archaeological Road Show and Show and Tell, Dandelion Festival 2013
This 1914 model was used to pull the steamer and take hoses and ladders to the fires. In 1941 it was used as a trade-in when the 1941 International fire truck was purchased. Arthur Eager was an International dealer at the time and took the 1914 model to his farm and for several years it was used as a truck in the field to haul crops. Around 1966, the volunteers received permission from Eager to use the 1914 truck in parades. In 1976, the volunteers purchased the truck from the Eagers. In 2000, the Firefighters Association decided to completely refurbish the truck to its original condition. Harold Workman, as the project chair, organized the refurbishing. He removed all the wood components and duplicated them using white oak. Harold spent countless hours working on the truck and other members assisted with the sandblasting and re-assembly. The late Ken Seymour, a retired firefighter, worked on the motor and transmission and the volunteers worked on the remaining mechanical systems. The Kemptville Truck Centre [now Tallman Truck Centre], our local International dealer did the bodywork. The tires (which are solid rubber) were re-rubberized to their original condition by Weirton Bandag (a company in West Virginia). Kriska Transport shipped the tires to the United States and back for the association.
- from “Celebrating 150 years of Service,” by Kelly Workman-Seeley (daughter of Harold Workman), 2005.
Click on each picture to
see a larger view
A happy group on the fire truck; including (front row, from left) Stacey Girling-Christie, Ontario Archaelogical Society (OAS) boardmember; son of Manuel Lapensée; Ann Newton, NGHS board member; Bill Adams, NGHS President; (back row, from left) unidentified; Doug MacDonald, NGHS board member; Manuel Lapensée, OAS; Betty Boersma; Pam Gordon, NGHS board.